Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Knoephla Soup

So a few weeks ago, okay a month or two ago, I was sitting with Eric asking what I should make for dinner + he immediately said "if you make knoephla soup, I'll love you forever" well that was an offer I couldn't refuse ;)

I should mention that I had no idea what knoephla soup was! One of our co-workers had made it and he gets it from a local store for lunch sometimes.. so I was all sorts of "nope" because I hate new things? Just kidding, I am just surprisingly unsure about any and all NoDak food. Knoephla soup is a dumpling soup, just a fancier name. 
-we also made brownies, and I like when he cooks ;) 

This recipe I found on pinterest was super simple and pretty freaking good too! 



I added more potatoes than needed cause I like them, Eric doesn't, but he can suffer cause I was cooking. 




Rookie mistake was making the dumplings too big. Despite that one mistake it was hearty, warm and perfect for the snowy/stupidly cold nights we have here in North Dakota. 

Recipe 
Serves 4-6
Soup:                                                                     
4 cups water                                                          
2 cups chicken broth                                             
1 large onion, diced                                               
2 cups potatoes, diced
2 bay leaves
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper 
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup cream

Knoephla Dough -German dumpling
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
3/4 tsp salt

  1. In a big soup pot add water and broth, then add onion, celery, potatoes, bouillon cubes and spices. Boil until potatoes are done, about 12-15 minutes. Add cream and knoepfla. Simmer 30-40 minutes.
  2. Knoephla Dough a German dumpling:.
  3. Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together to make a fairly stiff dough. Add eough water to make the dough stiff -- 3/4 cups or more depending on how much gluten is in your flour. You can use milk in place of the water -- some here do.
  4. Roll into 1/2 inch ropes and cut with a pair of scissors into 1/2 inch pieces right into the simmering soup.

Another cool thing about making this recipe was being tweeted by Kroll's Diner -which is a pretty big deal here?- so I was kind of humbled. And yes, I have a #nodakskillset but you don't have to be "nodakan" to try it out! 

No comments: