Friday, September 19, 2014

I got a promotion!

So as a lot of you know, I work for a pretty large company. I've worked for said company for almost a year and when I started I never really imagined myself doing it for long, let alone loving it. 

So about 2 months ago I took a course that is supposed to give you more insight for going into leadership and I had already thought that it'd be a good idea for me to do it and then my manager/lead told me to do it. 

In this course I was able to speak my mind, let my colleagues know who I am and where I plan on going.. about 2 hours in I had an amazing manager walk up to me and just blatantly ask "why are you here?" and I had no answer.. I'm a level 2 employee at this point, I'm just getting a feel.. but I feel like I have things to offer. I honestly thought he was going to tell me I was too inexperienced and to leave.  I walk away for a few minutes, come back, there's 3 more managers/leads who are running courses for this program and they are talking about me. 

I had a mini-freak out inside, but sat down with my bagel and was quiet, until said manager came back up and said something that literally changed my life.

"You should look into leadership, you've been here 8 months and you're outshining those who've been here for 5+ years. Please come to me if you need any help with interview prep." 

WHOA.. this guy, whose been with this HUGE company for 12 years said that I should look into leadership? Yeah okay, and then I'll become a rockstar. *sarcasm* But when this was brought up to my manager, coaching and then to other leadership who I didn't really know -but somehow knew me- I decided to do it. 

In August I applied to be what we call a "coaching lead" which basically means I'm a step under the manager and i work solely with the people on a team. I build them up and work with them for their success. I didn't think I'd get it, my interview got all messed up and my emotions were high due to the crap going on in my personal life... 

Then September 4th I was called into an office where I was sure they'd say "Acacia, you're a great candidate, but not experienced enough.. try again next year" instead I got:

"You're passionate, you care and we could tell in your interview that you truly will go places" 

My manager and lead were not surprised, nor was Mike, but I was.. I never think I'm good enough, and here are a bunch of people saying I am. I have a lot of work to do, I have my own team for the next 6 months I have to prove myself day in and day out in order to remain a lead. I'm confident enough to say that I think this will only be another stepping block. I honestly am setting a goal to make it as far as I can and to maybe transfer away from NoDak. 

So there you have it, a wonderful story on getting a promotion in just 10 months of work with a huge company. Now comes the fun of being in charge of people who've been there for 3-4 years and might look at me like I'm a doofus.   

PS: I should add that I totally love my job and my new position. ALSO! Mike works for said company as well and got a new promotion too, to say we're doing well is an understatement and this has been a huge blessing in our life together. 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Congrats, that's so super exciting!!